Friday 3 July 2015

Letter, 1998

Here it is: the thought occurred to me over the years that if anyone managed to convince you through words or whatever, that your mother knew anything that was happening, that your mother was "in denial," it is as clear to me as my life is my own, that is totally untrue.  It would be completely and absolutely against my nature.  For anyone else to "assume" that your mother would willingly allow you to suffer, that your mother did not love you, that your mother abandoned you, if anyone has even hinted that to you, they have done you a terrible, terrible disservice.  For they have robbed you of the one thing you deserve (and have): my deep, abiding, unconditional love.  No one who had your best interest at heart would even suggest this.  There was never a time when I would not have protected you, had I known you needed it.  Of that I am absolutely sure.

When you choose motherhood, you will know that to be true.  As humans, we may behave selfishly sometimes, but when a true crisis occurs for our child, something happens inside that goes beyond fear and reason...protecting your child.  There is nothing I would not have done to keep you safe from harm.  Never believe for a second that I would put my welfare above your safety.  Never.  That is my truth and I pass it on to you.  It's the only recurring desire I've had -- to give you this reassurance.

In closing, I hope you won't read anything else into this letter except a sincere desire to offer you the benefits your family can bring, to express my love for you, and to develop a new relationship based on complete and loving honesty.  I will not write again until I hear from you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment