Wednesday 17 February 2016

Once upon a time


I buried the doll behind a tree.  Just as I was arranging some sticks and dead branches to camouflage the grave, a small, fluffy champagne-colored thing appeared from behind a bush.  It had large, dark eyes, and a face so flat it almost curved inward.  Barely clearing the ground, the moving fluffball either had no legs, or legs camouflaged by mass amounts of fluff.  Its head seemed too large for its body and in general the creature was so odd that for a moment I thought it must be some kind of alien from outer space.  Only once it barked in a friendly sort of way did I realize it was a dog.  “Hello,” I said, a bit uncertainly. 
The dog bared crooked teeth at me in a comical attempt at a smile.
“What are you doing here?” I asked.
The dog just snuffled.
When I then sniffled, drying the last of my tears with my sweater sleeve, the dog shuffled over and gently head-butted my ankle.  I leaned over to pet it, which the dog seemed to like very much.  Suddenly grateful, I kissed its head.  It smelled like vanilla cake.



just wait
just wait
it forms
it shapes
what I cannot 
change
it shrieks its
own language
it howls
it blows
oh but I know
I know how not
to listen

No comments:

Post a Comment