Tuesday 19 September 2017

1953




Yes, the water is cold

January sea freeze makes even the sand shudder
no warm-weather month in sight
                my molecules for so long racing
                colliding
                begging
                for the slowing
the midnight water is cold for me
this is the time

Some fisherman embracing this
icy body
he will find me
by my blue silence he will know
                lost interest in breathing
                this air so full of riddles and
rhymes

Fear of damnation gave way to fear of life
                always the smoke from my fingertips
                as the flames gutted me inside
cleansed my faith in waiting
hope extinguished with
the coming tide

Because the water is cold here
and hesitation’s wounds were bone dry
                turn my head to the black sky fading
                to the moon deserting what must die
even God in his kingdom
must forgive those who
gasp for breath as
they cry
because the water is cold enough
this once
and I must
                swallow it
                swallow it
fill the thirsting void
tonight

No more debating
when there is nothing for saying

                                I will be all right


2 comments: