Thursday 21 September 2017

The Coming Storm



I avoided Bryan all Saturday.  He bore silent witness to this until Sunday morning, when he joined me in the kitchen.  “I just got off the phone with Bob,” he said.  “I have some bad news.  He and Shelly broke up.”

The apple I’d been holding landed with a thud on the cutting board.  “You’re kidding me!”

“I’m afraid not.”

“But why?”

“You know how Shelly has been in Chicago for the past couple of months?”

“Yeah.  For work, right?”

“Not quite.  She’s been seeing someone else there.”

“You mean another guy?” I gasped.  At Bryan's nod I said, “Is Bob sure about that?  Maybe he’s just being paranoid, because of Cathy.”  

“Well, considering the fact that Shelly was the one to tell him, he’s pretty damn certain.”

“She told him?”

“She had to.  She and this other guy just moved in together.”

“Oh, no…”  I sank against the counter.  First Cathy, and now Shelly.  The nightmare never ended.  “Is he okay?”   

“Not at all, so I invited him over for dinner—I didn’t think you would mind.  He could use some cheering up.”

“That’s fine with me,” I answered, but it was going to take a lot more than dinner with sympathetic friends to right what Shelly had wronged.  Bob was a disaster.  Not even Cathy dumping him for a stinky old college professor had hurt him this much, I guess because he’d blamed it on his drinking.  Now that he was sober, and working his program with such earnestness, maybe his worldview had changed.  Maybe he had thought to himself, this time things will be different.  I couldn’t say.  All I did know was that seeing Bob slumped in the dining room chair, appearing aged and defeated, made me hate Shelly more than I’d ever hated anyone in my life.  “There will be someone else,” I told him.  “Someone who will treasure all of the wonderful things about you.”

Bob smiled a little.  He clearly did not believe me. 

“It’s true,” I insisted, but as his puppy dog brown eyes brimmed with tears I could have sworn I heard his heart breaking.  “I appreciate what you’re trying to say, Rachel,” Bob answered.  “I really do.  But my whole life I’ve been taken advantage of by the people I most want to trust.  And the scariest thing is, I don’t know what to do about it.  I don’t know how to change.”




No comments:

Post a Comment