Monday 16 October 2017

Fractured



“Alturis told me about his brother,” Megan said.  When Andy frowned, she asked him, “Did you know what was going on?”

“Not until we found the Bergens.  Even then we didn’t know it was him until someone tipped us off.  But I thought he’d come after me—I never thought in a million years that he’d go after you.”

“Well, he didn’t really.  He was just confused.  He said good henchmen were hard to find.”

Andy laughed bitterly.  “I guess so.”

“It’s not like you can advertise for them.”

“No.”

“But are you going to be all right about the Bergens?  Because it wasn’t your fault.”

Andy’s smile faded.

“Don’t let it ruin your life,” Megan told him.  “They wouldn’t have wanted that.”

“Yeah,” Andy said.  He gazed out of the rain-streaked hotel window.  “Anyway, don’t worry about me.  You just worry about yourself.  I guess you’ll sell the house?”

“It was time, anyway.  Hopefully it won’t take too long.  A friend of mine who’s a real estate agent says that everything that happened will only make it more attractive to potential buyers.  I guess there are people out there who like houses with a back story.”

Andy shook his head.  “People are strange.”

“Sometimes.”

“Will you stay in town, though?”

“I don’t know.  I have a friend who’s a principal in Madison and they just had a teacher suddenly retire due to illness, so she’s offered me the job.  I think I might take it.”

“Well, good for you.  I hope it all works out.”

“Me, too.”

In the silence that followed Megan thought again about the cat who Andy had released all of those years ago.  She wondered if he remembered it now, or if he had moved too far forward from those memories.  So many creeping along the path behind them, just waiting for their chance...

Andy shifted, as if aware of where her thoughts had gone.  “So, anyway,” he said, “I just wanted to stop by, because I’ll be heading off to Chicago tomorrow.”

“Does that you mean you’ve made a decision about your job?”

“I talked to my boss when he was here.  We have everything worked out.”

“That’s great,” Megan said.  “I’m sure you did the right thing.”

“Thanks.  And, Meg—it was good to see you again.”

“You, too.”

Andy headed for the door, but stopped when he reached it.  “So I guess you’re going to hate me forever, huh?”

“Oh, no.  Not at all.”

“You sure?”

“I’m sure.”

“You’ll let me know if you ever need something?”

“Definitely.”

“Good,” Andy answered, and let himself out of the room.  

Megan sat down on the edge of the bed.  It was technically summer outside, but the hotel room was cold.  She wondered if she would ever feel warm again.


No comments:

Post a Comment