Wednesday 27 January 2016

Unafraid


Her glassy eyes drove me mad.  In a fit of rage, I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a knife.  She said something in that dull, mechanical voice of hers as I slapped her down on the counter, but I refused to listen.  Instead I raised the knife high in the air and became a human guillotine as the knife crashed down across her neck. 
Her round plastic head jerked back, separated from its body.  It balanced on the edge of the counter for a long second.  She had time to cast me  one last glassy-eyed look before her head hit the floor.  It seemed to roll forever, until it came to rest underneath the sink.
 I laid the knife down on the counter.  With some uncertainty, I pushed my fist into her dolly stomach, but nothing happened.  She was silent at last.
I had killed it.  I had killed the doll.

Because reality is the toe breaker
is the dance
is the false teeth sitting
innocent in the glass

No comments:

Post a Comment