Thursday 2 February 2017

The Light in the Dark



Someone tore the straps off of my wrists and ankles, and lifted me off the cot as an oppressive wall of heat closed in around us.  The smoke was so thick I thought for certain I would suffocate.  And then I was lying on the grass and coughing in the cool night air.  Next to me I heard violent hacking that wasn’t my own; I looked over and there was Rick, on his hands and knees.  When he saw me watching him he crawled over and held a sooty hand against my face.  Behind him I could see the barn consumed by flames.  “You’re all right,” he assured me, in between bone-rattling coughs.  “You’re safe now.  Everything is going to be okay.


*From The Abduction Myth, available to purchase here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KI6XNJU

No comments:

Post a Comment