Monday 12 October 2015

Conversation with George, Pt. 2

I could ask what you were made to do,
I reply.
But I don’t think I want to know.

That’s not a secret, he says.  I was
made to think.
And I do think.  I tell you things,
sometimes, when you’re half-asleep,
or not afraid or interested or
desperate.
I wish you were more interested.
I would tell you more.



I know enough, I answer.

But you don’t, he insists.
You really don’t.  I could tell you
about the oceans and why the
rivers flow and what makes
you not want to wake up.
I could tell you so much.
The boys come, scale the walls.
They whisper things to me,
so that I know why.
Sometimes I escape,
but this is my home.
And the dolls with knives
chase me.  Dolls as
big as you are.
I don’t like them very much.

No, I say, they don’t sound
very nice.

They aren’t, he answers.
They shout things at me from
the other side of the
walls.
“You, boy,” they say,
“you shut up, or we’ll cut
you!”
You wouldn't think a doll
with blonde hair and
pig tails could be so
vicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment