Monday 7 September 2015

The Dragon


There is a dragon in the elevator
He will not tell me his name but
I know it
I’ve heard it in my sleep
He says, stay asleep, little girl
I will not harm you
but I only pretend
I am here and I am alive

They say riddles are clues
but clues in a fortress
If only the dragon would let me pass
Ah, little girl, he says
you must solve the first riddle
to prove you are ready
I ask him what the first riddle is
and he laughs
He says that is why I am not ready
I cannot even hear the riddle
He says I know the words
He says no one stops my ears
but me
He says the riddle is my first clue
That I will hear it when I am ready
I say this is another trick
another stall
But he says no
he is the master of ceremonies only
I am in charge
I will know the riddle when I say it out loud

No comments:

Post a Comment