Tuesday 22 September 2015

The first conversation with George


George wants to know what we’re going to talk about.
Well, I don’t know, I tell him. 
I guess about what’s on the other side of the wall.

Okay, he says, what’s on the other side of the wall?

Grass, I answer.  And trees.  England.  Dogs.  Cats
Birds and cows and children and French fries.
Music, some of it beautiful.  Pictures and art.
Questions about steam and smoke and words that
cannot be pronounced.
All of these things and more.

Hmmmn, he replies, I know about most of
those things. 
I’m not sure what’s in it for me.

You can’t want to be inside of those walls,
I protest.
It must be boring, and so lonely.

Boring, no, he says, because I still have
my mind.
Lonely, sometimes.  But I wasn’t made to
feel much.

I could ask what you were made to do,
I reply.
But I don’t think I want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment