Sunday 9 July 2017

Hollow Victories


When I opened the cage and released the girl, she howled past me, a cyclone powered by atomic pain.  I crouched against the wall and covered my ears but I could still hear her screams, and the terrified shouts of those in the lost restaurant, as she raged deadly witness against them.

The restaurant would not be serving again.

After it was over a dishevelled figure with a lopsided purple hairdo and an old face limped up to me.  We stood and looked at each other for a while, until she said, “You think you have won.  But the spell is broken for you, too.”

“I know,” I answered.  “But at least I can live with myself.”

“We’ll see about that,” she replied.  She then disappeared into a cloud of foul-smelling smoke--rather against her will, I thought.

I checked my back; the fairy wings were still there.  I would not be going home just yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment