Tuesday 12 January 2016

January's Relapse

Most remained here with me

I gave some to the wind                       the wind that separated my toes

but something stayed crept poked inside
mocking me with icicle whispers to
never mind the frost outside
inside is just as cold

whatever stole into my pillowcase
left me silenced
crystallized the dripping ceiling
buckled the paneled walls

I could never begin to wonder how
it came to happen
how I whimpered for it to go away     
yet still forgetting to scrape off the scent
that yesterday is a dangerous thing

this something has left my cheekbones bruised
this something has cut into my knuckles
why God has given me these fingernails                      I do not know

but maybe forgiveness hides in the mattress
maybe in the frozen droplets trapped
on the branch’s edge...

Most remains here with me

No comments:

Post a Comment