Thursday 7 January 2016

Take warning



Kitty had been awake for ages by the time Leo reappeared in her vestibule.  It was strange to see him in something other than his guard’s uniform, but his unremarkable yet rugged outdoor gear no doubt made more sense for their mission.  
Neither of them spoke on their way to the stables.  A sleepy attendant brought Mars out to them before shuffling off to the warmth of the office.  Kitty could swear Mars gave her a disapproving, sidelong look; she frowned at him in return.  Why could no one understand what she was trying to do?
As if reading her thoughts, Leo said, “You are still certain, Miss Katharine?”
“I am.”
“You are very brave.”
“This isn’t about bravery,” Kitty said, because she knew how brave she wasn’t; she felt sure that any moment now she would throw up.  “This is about taking responsibility.  My father indirectly brought this onto your people, and as his daughter I’m the only one who can fix it.  So that’s just what I’m going to do.”
“While I admire your sense of duty, this conflict was many years in the making.  Had not the Minister led the movement, someone else would have.”
“Maybe, but that isn’t how it worked out.  Oh, and just so you know,” Kitty told Leo, her voice shaking slightly, “I’ve left a note in my room for the King in case something goes wrong.  I told the King it was all my fault and that I basically blackmailed you into helping me.  I’m sure he’ll believe it.”
His expression severe, Leo answered, “It makes no difference, Miss Katharine.  If something goes wrong the King will not care whose fault it was.  Now let us go, before he notices my absence.”

No comments:

Post a Comment