Thursday 29 September 2016

Beginnings



At Walgreen's Andy saw her standing in front of the magazine stand, reading a Tiger Beat.  “I’ll catch up to you in a couple of minutes,” he told his friends.  He then casually strolled over to where she was and reached for a Sports Illustrated.

When the girl noticed him she flushed, like she had been caught doing something naughty.  From how she quickly stuffed the Tiger Beat back into the magazine stand Andy had a feeling she was going to bolt again, so he smiled and said to her, “Hi!  My name is Andy.  I think I live across the street from you.  You’re the Schuler’s niece, aren’t you?”

The girl nodded.

“What’s your name?”

“Megan.”

Andy had expected a tiny, squeaky voice to go with her whole mouse-like demeanor.  That would have made more sense, anyway, than the quiet but firm voice she answered him with.  Fascinated, Andy waited for her to continue.  When she didn't, he asked her, “What grade are you in?”

“Seventh.  I mean, I will be in August.”

“Hey, that’s cool.  I’ll be in eighth.  I can show you around.”

“Great,” Megan said, although Andy wasn’t quite sure she meant it.  She took a step back.  “Well, I have to get going,” she told him.  “It was nice meeting you.”

“Yeah, you, too.  Maybe I’ll come over sometime this week.  I can take you on a tour.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I don’t mind.  I’ll just stop over, okay?”

“Okay,” Megan answered, and looking a bit hunted, she disappeared around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment