Thursday 9 April 2015

Gone Off and Lonesome


I have been pining for you, old friend
I have been searching my organs for
clues of your existence
I have been listening to the buzz of
the lamps, my friend
I have been understanding that we
are all without evidence

Because you are the intervening cause
you are where I buried my investments
I have been searching the heat registers for you
only to find cotton balls that missed the garbage
can

I have stood on my toes and screamed
through my stomach
I have flown off the linoleum by the force
of my breath
I plead to the cobwebs for you to listen
I wake up with charlie horses at 3 am

When I lost my travel book centuries ago
burned the ancient forest where
you were my favorite tree
You are the reality I cannot close in on
what flew through my hair that I
mistook for permanency

I would like a chance to hold you, old friend
I would like to touch your materialness
But I beat against the kitchen table instead
keeping time with rhythmic
loneliness

No comments:

Post a Comment