Thursday 2 April 2015

The Dragon in the Elevator, Pt. 2

I am not well, I tell the dragon

Yes, he answers, I know
But last night I heard you
I heard you nearly speak the riddle
out loud
You stopped yourself
Why?

You are mistaken, I answer
I do not know the riddle
I am tired, and I am not well
I cannot be alone
I am scared and exhausted with the effort
of being awake
It feels like I have been awake forever
I dream of snow
of running in it
of hearing the crunch of my footsteps
on the ice
I dream of diving into the water
so deep
and not needing air
I wish I had never seen it
never heard of it
never known it
I wish I could only remember it
as I ran in the snow

All very poetic, the dragon says
but you told me once
that wishing will not make it so
will you not join us here?
Not even the butterflies are
afraid

Why this turn, I ask him
You were the one to bring
tears to my eyes so that I
would be blind

Oh, yes, the dragon replies,
I shielded you
But then the closet nearly
burned down with you
in it
If you are ready to speak
the riddle
we are waiting
we are in no hurry
but I am not mistaken
you know the words
you deny them, I no longer deny you

You act as if I am the barrier, I argue
it is not me
it is the others

Ah, the others, the dragon smiles
we take our orders from you
we serve you, we love you,
we scold you
but we do not control you

I do not know the riddle, I insist
perhaps this is a trick
there is no riddle

Is this what you must believe, the
dragon sighs
I never told you so
the riddle has been scratching at you for years now
no wonder you are tired

I am not well, I repeat
I want none of your riddles
I only want peace

There is the problem, my child
there will be no peace until
you speak the words
you knew this long ago

No comments:

Post a Comment