Thursday 9 July 2015

Essay, 2000

Nevertheless, I have to admit, I get sick of the struggle, of wanting to believe I am something else, only to be daily tormented by the knowledge that, at least in part, I am not.  I have no weapons in my arsenal for self-forgiveness, and maybe that is why I wrote this, to achieve through words what I haven't through thoughts.  I don't know.  In some manner of speaking I do not deserve forgiveness, no matter what my fleet of therapists argue.  Their impression of me and my experiences are necessarily colored through my tell of it, and I cannot ignore that fact.  I only know I never wanted to hurt anyone how I had been hurt.  If my disaster could for one second free someone else of theirs, then, at a minimum, I could be selfish enough to find some comfort in that.  I could know that even though I failed and continue to fail, probably indefinitely so, I helped someone else to win.

In Richard III, Clarence said to his prison keeper, "My soul is heavy, and I fain would sleep."  I understand that.  I wish I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment