Friday 31 July 2015

Letter to the impossible dream, July 1998

About a month ago Erica passed along the message that you would be willing to begin writing to me so that we could re-establish contact.  I've really thought about it and have decided that I think I would like to try this.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This leads me to the next point, which is what I think would be beneficial for us to talk about, at least at first.  While I don't want to limit the subject of our letters to some impossibly restrictive list, at the same time I don't want to get into what caused the separation, at least not yet.  As I'm sure you know all too well, we can't solve our problems in a letter format, and I just don't think it would be useful to try.  Instead I'm hoping that we can simply share things about each other's lives so that we can develop a level of trust; once that trust exists, we can then address what led me to take the steps that I did.  I'm sure at some point we will both feel a need to discuss the choices we each made during these past six years, but that too is something that I believe is better left until a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment